Ed’s Victoria Fringe Festival Picks of 2015

4web3webrumpelstiltskin-copy-3

Rumpelstiltskin … and other tales

Presented by the Story Theatre Company
Written / Created by Jeff Leard
Location: Metro Studio Theatre (1411 Quadra Street)

Monday August 31, 2015 – 2:30 PM
Friday September 4, 2015 – 1:00 PM
Saturday September 5, 2015 – 12:15 PM
Sunday September 6, 2015 – 11:30AM

The Brothers Grimm wrote many a masterful piece of work, and while the seminal Rumpelstiltskin leads this set of tales for people of all ages to enjoy, I’m thinking two other tales that might get retold will include The Frog Prince and Rapunzel. With only 45 minutes for this program, I’m sure this studio can only tell only a few tales than a lot. But then this is Fringe — maybe everything will be told in a compressed format at breakneck speeds that made the Reduced Shakespeare Company famous. Even they got their start at the Fringe.

web2web18402241861_867b85ca1e_b-copy

Two Ruby Knockers, One Jaded Dick: A Dirk Darrow Investigation

Presented by Tim Motley
Written / Created by Tim Motley
Location: Victoria Event Center (1415 Broad Street)

Thursday August 27, 2015 – 8:15 PM
Saturday August 29, 2015 – 8:15 PM
Wednesday September 2, 2015 – 6:15 PM
Friday September 4, 2015 – 10:00 PM
Saturday September 5, 2015 – 4:45 PM
Sunday September 6, 2015 – 6:30 PM

I’ve seen Dirk Darrow back in 2012 and reviewed it at 28DLA.com, where I wrote: To see him as the befuddled investigator trying to solve a mysterious death is part of the spectacle. He entertains a crowd with his one-liners, gags and puns. His Sam Spade-like performance is part of this show’s highlight.
And to see him back, I have to wonder what new supernatural hijinks he will be up to next. I suspect there will be none of the ghostly kind in this latest show, but his Jedi mind-tricks will be featured more prominently. Correction: that should be psychic. He certainly entertains with magic tricks and I can only wonder if the two ruby knockers are in reference to certain ladies or something else.

3webthewyrdsisters-copy

The Wyrd Sisters

Presented by Damnspot Theatre
Written / Created by William Shakespeare
Adapted and Created by Alannah Bloch
Location: Metro Studio Theatre (1411 Quadra Street)

Friday August 28, 2015 – 6:45 PM
Sunday August 30, 2015 – 5:45 PM
Tuesday September 1, 2015 – 10:00 PM
Friday September 4, 2015 – 7:15 PM
Saturday September 5, 2015 – 9:15 PM
Sunday September 6, 2015 – 5:15 PM

This year will feature many shows involving dancing sirens on stage for me, and this will be a unique change of pace from the usual nerd shows I normally partake in. I can not pass up Shakespeare by any stretch of the imagination, as I have fond recollections of the play Macbeth where it featured three witches. This playwright’s use of supernatural images is at the forefront of my expectations of this show, and to see it played out through exotic movement is of high interest to me.

Advertisements